Monday, August 18, 2014

Costa Rica: Oh The Things You Will Eat

Here are a bunch of pictures of the food we ate in Costa Rica! (Mostly thanks to Maren). While I did love a lot of it, Gallo Pinto (breakfast made of rice and beans with cilantro and seasonings), Arroz con Pollo (rice with chicken), and Empanadas (breakfast made of handmade corn tortillas filled with bean paste and sometimes cheese), were my absolute favorite. The food was unlike anything I've ever tried before and it wasn't anything like what we consider Spanish food here in the U.S.. Rice and beans were used in every meal, but there are so many ways to eat those so I really did enjoy it! Although there were a couple things I did not like and will never eat again if I have any say in it, I have labeled these with their pictures. Enjoy!

^ Fanta & lemonade on our weekend excursion ^


^ This meal was by far the most disgusting. In fact, it is the only one Maren and I couldn't even finish. If anyone knows what it is actually called and what it is, I'd love to know because with our limited ability to communicate we could not figure it out. The orange apricot looking things were very stringy and tough and that white blob? That is mayo that you dip the mystery "fruit" in. Then on the side: a corn tortilla with a fried egg that includes some rice left out from the night before. Also...I can't stand eggs. ^




^ These fried plantains with cheese were very popular, but I don't think I'll miss them much. ^


^ Manzana De Agua, (Water Apple) from the fruit trees outside ^
^ Anuna, basically a fruit that tastes like cotton candy, so good! ^ 



^ Bean paste, arroz con pollo ^


^ Corn crackers Maren loved but I couldn't choke down.. ^
^Yuka I believe..?^


^ We got a little desperate for chocolate and this stuff was good :) ^



^ Mint that Maren may have swallowed..^


^ More fried eggs ^



^ those black things are giant beans! ^ 

^ Pico (no chips), fish, squash, and rice, yummy!^




^ Corn tortillas with mayo for breakfast ^
^ Soup ^                                         
^ Arroz con Pollo, I love this meal!! ^



^ Gallo Pinto, This stuff is GOOD. ^



^ A gluten free coffee cake type breakfast ^

^ These cheese quesadillas and empanadas were our favorite breakfasts!^ 
^ Some colorful potato salad-ish side along with ham, beans, and rice ^




No comments:

Post a Comment