Sunday, July 13, 2014

Costa Rica: Where The Streets Have No Name



I've been in cost rica for 5 whole days now! Monday morning Maren and I headed off on this adventure:
First things first, this is definitely a different country. We are staying with a sweet little family: a widowed mom, Rosemary, her 10 year old son Jose and her 8 year old daughter Maria Paulette. They are all wonderful and they also don't speak any English, at all. Which is actually great because we are learning loads more Spanish that way but we also have a difficult time communicating on a regular basis. 

The house is nice and I don't have any complaints! It's small but Maren and I both have our own rooms and the 5 of us share one bathroom. That's not a problem though because I don't spend much time I'm there since there is no warm water in the house (aka shower) and the mirror is pretty short and only goes up to part of my face. Oh and I've noticed my towel smells terrible because it never fully dries...ewww. 

There's also a covered porch that everyone seems to have but ours is the nicest I've seen. (See first picture). Maren and I love it! We love to sit out here to read and enjoy the limited hours of sunlight. The sun goes down at 630 pm which makes me so sad. I could never live somewhere with limited sun! And then I go to bed by 10pm and end up getting approximately 9.5 hours of sleep. It's insane!!! 




We take the bus everyday into Heredia (a larger town). It's about 30 mins and very bumpy and fast. There aren't sidewalks generally and if cars, buses, and motorcycles driving right next to you make you jumpy this is not the place for you. Seriously I could reach out and touch each bus as it drives by. Also honking is very popular but we can't quite figure out why. Sometimes it seems like "hello," sometimes "get out of the way I'm going to hit you," or maybe "get off my route this is my stop," But really who's to say. 

I don't consider Heredia to be a very pretty town in all honesty. Atleast what we've seen of it. But hopefully we'll see some prettier places soon :) there is a church that is always our landmark though and I don't know what we would do without it because have I mentioned yet the streets have NO NAMES?!?! The addresses are all like "400 metros oeste de Santa Barbara" (400 meters west of Santa Barbara) and I don't know how to figure that out! 

Parque Los Angeles - our landmark
       Parque central


But somehow we've survived our first week and we only have 3 more. We weren't able to go to the placement we are supposed to volunteer at yet because of some legal registration issues not being completed on their end but tomorrow we begin that and this week we volunteered at a kinder not run by the government. So here's some pictures and next post I promise there will be some stories :)

Oh also I cut my hair a couple weeks ago in preparation for this trip to embrace the natural craziness of humidity and I totally love it. I don't have to do anything and I end up with this. So fun!

(We helped paint a mural at the kinder.)

No comments:

Post a Comment