Saturday, August 30, 2014

Costa Rica: A Night In The Jungle


While in Costa Rica we had very limited time to sight see and visit the regular tourist locations. We only had 3 weekends and we had to plan everything and find our own transportation and way around the country. The first weekend we visited the LDS temple and the capitol, San Jose. The second weekend we decided to visit Arenal, a volcano area that brings people from all over the world. It was a lot of work to figure it all out and a few people warned us it might be dangerous traveling with just the two of us, but we didn't have another option and we really wanted to see a new place. So that Saturday morning we woke up early took a bus into Heredia (30 mins), took another bus into San Jose (about 30 minutes), took a taxi to the bus stop to Arenal, and took another bus to Arenal (4.5 hours), got there that evening, visited a number of shops, found our hotel, which was on the volcano in a little house, and went swimming. We also enjoyed at least 3 warm showers each because the shower at our host family's house was quite cold.

The next morning we went zip-lining. Maren and I decided this was a physical way to show how brave we had been the entire trip. It's difficult to explain, but day to day I felt so brave and yet I felt no one could see how brave we were. Not even us. But both of us not being too keen with heights agreed we wanted to do this zip-line and so we did! It was pouring rain, but they still let us go and told us it would just make the line much faster and harder to stop (!!!). I would highly recommend doing this to anyone visiting Arenal. It was beautiful, even in the rain, and it was so fun to fly over the volcano.



 
^ Our hotel room ^







^ We were so excited to stay on big beds in a big room ^ 



^ Fun fact, you can't flush toilet paper down the toilet in Costa Rica, & we were on this bus in the back for 4.5 hours while a boy our age talked to us loudly in English unintentionally announcing to everyone who we were and where we were going. He was quite the character. But now that I think about it most of the bus probably couldn't understand his English anyway so I guess it wasn't too big of a deal. ^




^ While receiving instruction, I guess I was looking a little bit bored. ^


^ Some guys we met from our hotel ^


 ^ I just realized this picture was actually from the Bus Ride to Arenal and not from Zip-lining, but hey look at that green! ^











^ Told you it was pouring rain, I'm talking the kind of rain we don't ever get in Utah! ^ 


 ^ This was the Tarzan Swing, I have a video, but I will upload it on the next post because I don't currently have it in my possession. I will say, it was epic. ^

So that's all for our Jungle Night Stay! 
Next up: a few nights sleeping on the beach.





   

No comments:

Post a Comment