Sunday, August 31, 2014

Costa Rica: Playa Ballena, Beach Camping

While we were in Costa Rica there was a holiday, the Annexation of Guanacaste, which meant we had one long weekend! We had a connection with a man who lived in the area from my Dad's business and he invited us to join his family and 10 other families to go camping on the beach! Literally on the beach. We didn't have to plan hardly anything, we didn't have to worry about transportation or planning activities, and we could spend time with his wonderful family, we were so up for that! So here are some pictures and descriptions of the activities you do while camping on the beach. 


Not pictured because the pictures didn't turn out: 

bbq with all sorts of meats and grilled tomatoes and corn (so yummy!) + wonderful company
x watching lightning storms at night on the beach, they light up the whole ocean so beautifully
x star gazing in the sand, goodness gracious that was beautiful!
x seeing whales & dolphins! They were too quick to photograph
x swimming in the middle of the clear, bright blue ocean...in our clothing. (story below)

Enjoy! XO


^ Welcome to Parque Nacional Marino Ballena 
Those marine currents are real and if you sit in the sand too long they will get sand into parts of your swimsuit you didn't know they could go. Like between the liner and fabric of your swimsuit giving you an extra pound of weight in your bottoms..awkward.. ^


^ Playa Ballena: Whale Beach it literally shaped like a whale's tale! & we stayed right on the side of it. During high tide the tail if covered, but during low tide people say it is like Moses because the water just parts around it. It is really neat! ^

^ Our tent ^
^ The view from our tent! I'm telling you we were steps away from the ocean, and this is low tide ^


^ Costa Rican version of a "snow-cone" including carmel, cream, and dehydrated milk ^




 ^ Day two we went whale watching...in that tiny little boat..!! ^

 ^ Island ^
^ My, I'm seasick, I hope I don't fall out of this boat, everyone is speaking Dutch & I can't even figure out Spanish, but I've always wanted to go whale watching face! ^

Quick story: When Maren & I went whale watching we were thinking it would probably be in a big boat. Like a really bit boat. So I didn't even think it'd be necessary to wear my swimsuit, & remember what I said about marine currents & sandy swimsuit bottoms? Yeah we had to cut little holes in our swimsuits to get all of the sand out, it was insane. So we both had soaking wet sandy bottoms and decided to just wear shorts (Maren was wearing full on clothing but I had my swimsuit top on). After a couple hours of whale watching and sight seeing the driver...sailor? asked us if we all wanted to get out and swim. The water was so clear and beautiful and the boat was so rocky (I was getting super nauseous) & so we jumped in the ocean still clothed and loved every second of it. Our clothes didn't dry for days but it was so worth it! You could see your feet below you because it was so clear. I'm sure the people from Costa Rica and the Netherlands were judging us Americans for swimming in our clothes, but hey we owned it!

^ Sunday ^

 ^ This little guy just let me get that close ^

 ^ Oh hey future roommates... quick shout-out! ;) ^


 ^ Watch for falling coconuts, I'm not even kidding ^
 ^ Carlos & His family ^



 ^ Campsite ^

 ^ we can pretend Maren's eyes are open :) ^




 ^ Pura Vida! ^
(but for the sake of Maren and myself I must disclose to you that nobody actually said that to us outside the tourist area or Arenal)


No comments:

Post a Comment